Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Coming Unglued

They're coming unglued. Seriously.

And I don't know about you, but I'm really digging this Sarah Palin stuff. She's awesome! Of course, she's completely consumed McCain's campaign... and you know, since he announced her as his running mate, I'm seeing McCain signs in people's yards around here. Very interesting. 

But back to the "coming unglued" stuff...

Steve Cohen, representing the people of Memphis, TN, said on the House floor, "I submit to you, uh, Mr. Speaker, that the parties have differences. But if you want change you want the Democratic party. Uh, Barack Obama was a community organizer like Jesus who our, uh, minister prayed about, uh, Pontius Pilate was a governor. Thank you, Mr. Speaker."

For real?!? You really wanted to say that? In public?? It's funny to picture Cohen, standing in his office (no mirror present, judging by the state of his hair as he made this particular speech), practicing what he obviously thought was a witty remark. What a hoot.

Joe Biden on Palin's speech: "Her speech was an amazing speech in two ways. It was incredibly well-crafted and delivered, but there wasn't a single - I didn't hear the phrase 'middle class,' I didn't hear a single word about health care, I didn't hear a single word about helping people get to college, I didn't hear a single word or phrase about how to deal with retirement security for people and social security. I didn't hear the word Afghanistan or Pakistan mentioned where the terrorists live, you know... I mean, I, where Al Qaeda is, so, you know, what I'm gonna try to do and I may not be able, I mean she's so good, I may not be able to get to it, I'm gonna try, is try to point out where we want to take the country and how they don't have a single answer how to dig us out of the hole we've been dug into the last eight years."

Now isn't this funny? Biden is going to criticize Palin's speech on the grounds that it didn't include any of the Democrat talking points. And you gotta love his foot-in-mouth disease, too. Pakistan is "where the terrorists live." I'll bet there are some peeved Pakistanis right about now, huh? And then, his effort to lower expectations as to his own debate performance and try to raise expectations as to hers. Crafty, but a bit transparent.

Washington Post writer Sally Quinn says, "She said a couple of days ago, 'I don't know what the Vice President does.' And I still believe that a woman with 5 children and a Down Syndrome baby - uh, and I think that she hasn't even started to find out what it's going to be like to raise a child, I have a learning disabled child, I have to tell you, it takes an enormous amount of time or effort. And one of the things that John McCain emphasized over and over was 'you put your country first.' And so, I need to know as a citizen, um, you can't do it all..."

One begs to ask Ms. Quinn - considering the fact that you don't believe it possible to parent a learning disabled child well and have a full time job with pressure and responsibilities, are we to assume that you didn't care properly for your own child? Certainly, you have had your share of pressures and responsibilities in your rise to semi-fame?

That said, I am one of those people who recognizes that one really cannot do it all and have it all. Gov. Palin is, in her current role as Governor, not acting as stay-at-home, full time mommy to her children. (Just like millions of other women around the country.) She appears, thankfully, to have a pretty cool husband who also appears to be a loving and caring father. I'm sure this helps.

And Barack Obama finally gets something right: "There's no doubt that, you know, the Republicans are excited, particularly the right wing of the Republican Party is excited by Sen. - or Gov. Palin's choice. I think that has less to do with gender than it has to do with her ideological predispositions which are closely aligned to theirs." 

Yes, this is true. I really, really like her. I'm actually excited. And it's not because she's "got the same plumbing" as me. (Although, I have to admit, seeing a woman who is that strong is pretty cool.) But I like what she stands for. 

John Roberts of CNN says, "There's also this issue that on April 18th, she gave birth to a baby with Down Syndrome. The baby is just slightly more than 4 months old now. Children with Down Syndrome require an awful lot of attention. The role of vice president, it seems to me, would take up an awful lot of her time, and it raises the issue of, how much time will she have to dedicate to her newborn child?"

This, of course, from a Democrat - who is most likely of the belief that a Down Syndrome baby has no right to live anyway. Kind of hard to take his concern to heart then.

I know that Sarah Palin is supposed to be interviewed this week by Charles Gibson. I am looking forward to seeing that one. If I read her right, all the speculation and negativity in the press towards here is going to energize her and give her greater confidence. She seems like the type of person who sees her opposition ramping it up and takes that as a mark of her success. It will be interesting to see how she does. And I can hardly wait for the Vice Presidential debate on October 2nd!

Party on... I'm a Republican again!!

No comments: